I'm new to this forum, but I'm not new to tennis games.
Here are my thoughts about an idea I have for an update, I don't know where the limits go with suggestions. So I might as well go big right away
Remember though, these are just thoughts I have and it would be interesting to discuss it if it's possible to achieve at all.
I think a defensive slice would be a great addition to the game. A new shot to the game, assigned to a seperate button/direction, and with a special anim for it too.
Here a video of the shot I'm thinking about.
At these times during this video, the shot is made. Some effective and some less effective: 2.55, 4.14, 6.30, 6.49, 9.05, 10.06, 10.09.
Youtube: watch?v=UR7N-zefV2E (couldn't add a link, due to "new member" restrictions)
My thought is that this shot has to be a last effort shot. A shot that has a wider reach than the normal slice(not too wide ofc), but uses much stamina(to not be exploited). Maybe use even more stamina than accelerations, just to prevent misuse and everlasting rallies. (This would also add a tactical choice to not
go for such a shot in some situations, because of the stamina drain). At the widest, the effectiveness is greatly reduced, just getting a high, short and easy putaway for your opponent or it just goes out. Also making the reach or/and effectiveness considerably lowered when stamina gets drained lower.
In the video-examples I've shown, some of these are effective, while some are just a "postpone" to the inevitable. Why would I want such a shot? Here are five quick reasons
1. If you have a lot of stamina, you can reach some more difficult balls.
2. This would be useful to attempt to "safe"-return a serve. (Getting the return high, slow and deep)
3. Would be really nice against a big server, to at least return more often(and would also not be too easy to return, because when stamina is drained, you can't return effectively with the shot).
4. Would be very interesting in rallies. Keeping rallies alive and forcing some epic overheads etc.
5. An appropriate animation to the shot would look awesome!