Hmmm. Well, I found an issue in the .ini file, I think, that was causing the problems. If I delete my .ini file and copy and paste a backup that I made before this issue started, when I then start the game and try to play a match, the issue remains. However, if I close the game, open the .ini file that I am using as my profile in Notepad, open in Notepad the backup .ini file, and then copy the contents (Ctrl-A) of the backup file to the Notepad window of the other file (replacing all text therein), and then save the .ini file for my normal profile, the game works fine when I start it and play a match. But that isn't the end of this.
Now, when I then close the game and reopen it and try to play a match, I am right back where I was, except now my player has a head (but there is no CPU player). Obviously, the game is corrupting this .ini file for some reason. What is strange to me is that replacing the .ini file of my normal profile with the one of the backup doesn't work, but replacing the contents
of the normal .ini file with the contents
of the backup .ini file does work (at least until I open the game and close it). At least I can play the game now, and I don't have time to keep troubleshoot these issues
. I would rather just be able to play the game