AI players skill in Training

General discussions about the tennis games Tennis Elbow
Forum rules
Speak English and don't hijack topics, troll, use profanities nor insults

AI players skill in Training

Postby mpardo » 28 Apr 2015, 23:36

Hi all,

I have been playing TE for almost 2 years but never wrote in the Forum before. I have been making some tests on AI vs AI in the Training mode and I have one doubt that I cannot solve. I have done all the changes editing the .ini

- If I set up 2 players with the same .ini but different styles heights they don't have exactly 50% - 50% chances in the game. That is all right.
- If I set two players, one with 3% skills and other with 97% skills they have basically the same probabilities of winning as if they had the same skills (close to 50% - 50%). I understand that this is because of the correction the game does to "normalize" the skill but to what rank in the Training mode? I tried a few things (like changing TourNum) but could not make one player better than the other.
- If one of the players has a higher level - sublevel combination he is considerably better and his chances of winning increase considerably.

To conclude, does anyone know whether I can make one player better than another if they both have the same level - sublevel in training mode? Is there a way to set up their "target rank"?

Thanks a lot for your help!
mpardo
tennis curious

Gaming Since: 28 Apr 2015, 23:26

Re: AI players skill in Training

Postby Rafa » 29 Apr 2015, 00:05

- If I set two players, one with 3% skills and other with 97% skills they have basically the same probabilities of winning as if they had the same skills (close to 50% - 50%). I understand that this is because of the correction the game does to "normalize" the skill but to what rank in the Training mode? I tried a few things (like changing TourNum) but could not make one player better than the other.

There is no normalization of CPU skills in training mode. A CPU with 3% skills should be much stronger than a CPU with 97%, so I'm not sure why this is happening to you. The biggest difference you should see in their speed. TourNum does nothing in training.

Level and sub level affect their skills a lot, but definitely a CPU at Incredible sub level 5 with 97% skills will pretty much always beat a CPU at Incredible sub level 7 with 3% skills.
Rafa

Postby Rafa » 29 Apr 2015, 00:06

And by "better" I meant "worse" :)
Rafa

Postby manutoo » 29 Apr 2015, 08:24

mpardo,
you might have set "Skill Mode" to something else than "Free" in the Misc options, and thus the CPU skills are normalized. Set it to "Free" and the skills in-match will be identical to the skills in their Character Sheet.
ManuTOO
== Mana Games ==

>> I don't answer Private Message, except if it's really a _Private_ topic <<
manutoo
Game Author

Gaming Since: 24 Jan 2004, 15:38

Postby mpardo » 29 Apr 2015, 20:15

Thanks a lot for your answers. I had selected the Realistic Skill Mode. Substituting it with Free made the trick.
mpardo
tennis curious

Gaming Since: 28 Apr 2015, 23:26

Return to Tennis Elbow